FLORES - THE AZORES
- Flores is the westernmost extremity of Europe.
- The west coast path is reportedly the oldest trail/path in the archipelago, and arguably the most stunning one.
- Flores get its name from abundance of the flowers that grow throughout the island.
- Flores is 17 km long, 12.5 km at its widest, with a total land area of 143 sq. km.
- The highest point (Morro Alto) reaches 914m while the surrounding central plateau averages 500 m to 600 m.
- With just over 4,000 inhabitants Flores accounts for approximately 1.4% of the population of the archipelago.
- The Isle of Monchique is the most westerly European landmass of Europe.
- Faja Grande is the westernmost village of Europe.
- The best Hiking/walking in The Azores
- Take a 3.5 hour boat trip around the island;
- Hire a car or taxi, and do a tour of the island. (if you want to hire a car need to book early)
- Diving and snorkling
- Swimming in the natural pools
- Visit neighboring island of Corvo (approximately 45 minutes by a boat)
What others have said about Flores...
"An island of incomparable beauty, due to its geographical form, and jagged terrain."
"With its semi-tropical landscape, Flores is reputed to be the most beautiful island of the archipelago"
"In visiting Flores you will discover the true pleasure of nature in its purest form. Not since New Zealand have I seen nature and scenery as beautiful.