PICO - THE AZORES
- Pico is dominated by its mountain.
- At 2351m/771ft, the volcanic mountain is the highest mountain in the Azores as well as in Portugal.
- Pico, at 42km length and 15km width, with a surface area of 447km2, is the second largest island in the archipelago.
- With approximately 14,500 inhabitants, Pico accounts for approximately 6% of the population of the archipelago.
- The main town is Madalena.
- Pico is part of the central island group with daily ferry crossings to Faial and Sao Jorge.
- Main economic activities include dairy farming and whale watching.
- Some lovely Hiking/walking in The Azores
- Climb Mt. Pico (and stay overnight, if time and weather permitting);
- Hire a car or taxi, and do a tour of the island. (book car hire before leaving home)
- Diving and snorkling
- Swimming in the natural pools
- Gruta das Torres - a cave that opened for the public in 2006.
- Visit neighboring islands of Faial (30mins by ferry) or Sao Jorge (45mins by ferry)