SAO JORGE - THE AZORES
A large percentage of Sao Jorge is high pasture which supports an amazing amount of dairy cattle (20,000) for such a small island. From the high quality milk which the cows produce comes the famous "Sao Jorge cheese", which is still manufactured using traditional techniques and exported to the mainland.
Sao Jorge Statistics: -
- Sao Jorge got its name from Saint George.
- Sao Jorge is 56 km long, 8 km at its widest, with a total land area of 245 sq. km.
- While the long central ridge generally fluctuates between 300 m to 700 m, the highest point (Pico da Esperanca) reaches 1053 m
- With just over 9,500 inhabitants, Sao Jorge accounts for approximately 4% of the population of the archipelago.
- The unusual mountainous landscape means that the majority of the population of Sao Jorge lives on the small coastal plains called fajas.
- Sao Jorge is part of the central island group.
- A main economic activity is dairy farming, including the production of the famous Sao Jorge Cheese.
Find the best deals, compare prices, and read travelers reviews of hotels in Azores
Sao Jorge Highlights
- Sao Jorge is a walkers paradise, especially if you want natural, beautiful, unique and peaceful surroundings.
- Walk - Serra do Topo - Faja Dos Cubres (including Faja da Caldeira do Santo Cristo): 4hours, moderate.
- Walk - Ridge Walk from Norte Pequeno back to Velas: 30km, moderate.
- Walk - Down to Faja do Joao Dias: 3-4hours, moderate.
- Sete Fontes a floral forest park
- Sao jorge Cheese
Festivals on Sao Jorge
- Esp�rito Santo (Holy Ghost festival).
- Cultural Week (Velas)
- July festival (Calheta) - Music festival : third week of July.